Friday, April 20, 2007

So I went out and searched the web a little last night and today to find an article that I could use for Essay #2. It was difficult for me, because I couldn't find what I wanted or anything that satisfied me; however, after searching for quite some time, I found what I needed. I came across this blog that is called Volunteering In England. At first, I didn't honestly think I would be thrilled about it because my experiences are about that all over the place. Then I finally realized that up until last year, I hadn't been out of the country either to volunteer. I hope to gain alot of information from his blog as well as use it to compare to my experiences. I think that in some cases it could be similar, but since all of his work was done in England, I hope there is also a difference so I can see the barriers between the two. He has probably had to overcome certain obsticles and I can't wait to see if those obsticles are the same or different from mine.

Reading some of his blogs, I can tell their going to be interesting. I saw that in his current blog he talks about the tuition of students and how it should be lowered. I very much agree with that, but I just like the start that I see. Hopefully I can leave him a comment or vice versa and we can talk about our experiences.

It's amazing just how many people all over the world give back to the community and the places they've come from. I really like to see people help in any way they can. It is something that is close to my heart, volunteering, and I hope to help out a lot more.

3 comments:

Amanda Gehres said...

I know where your coming from on this. It amazes me to how many people spend their time volunteering and helping others. And also everything they give up to do that. I love to hear all the stories people tell and how they changed people's life. And also how those people changes the volunteers life too. I really admire those people who volunteer and I wish that I could be more involved sometimes. I remember volunteering for Habitat for Humanity one time. We helped put up drywall and stuff like that inside a house for someone in our town. They new owners were so thankful that we were there and helping make a dream come true. It truly is a great feeling.

Cap'n Fatback said...

Jessica--

Good blog. A note: it should read "I can tell they're going to be interesting."

5/5

lizzie the pink said...

Volunteering is a great way to learn new skills make new friends, try somthing diffrent and gain a new perspective.

In the UK we have employment laws which safeguard people from being exploited and used as a substitute for paid labor, taking away jobs from people who need them to feed their families
We have also have a national network of Volunteer Centres to support volunteers and to protect them from exploitation

Do you have a similar support agency in US?